Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ordinary

This morning, before we left to make the arduous drive back to North Carolina, I combed Caroline's hair. As I pulled the brush through her hair I remembered how I had done this so many years ago for her mother. Those sweet little curls twinning around my fingers almost made my heart stop. Where had the years gone? We put a pink bow in her hair and she hugged my neck. Her baby smell and her chubby little fingers clutched at me and I was transported back to the time when I was the young mom rushing to get out the door and on with the business of the day. This morning there was no rush for me. I wanted to stop time in its track and treasure the moment, but she had to go to day care and we had to come home. 

Her brother, newly fond of 'Spiderman", wanted his hair combed like Peter Parker, so I obliged. We even gave it a shot of Papa's hairspray to hold the look. He, unlike his sister, knows how far away we live from him. We both cried and said we'd count the days until he comes with his family for Christmas. He and his mom will make a paper chain for the 19 days until he gets here to the blue house. He told me that he'll tear off a link everyday. While his parents enjoyed a night out last week, we had written his letter to Santa. This morning he reminded me to make sure Santa got it. I promised that I would. A quick hug and a kiss and he and his sister were whisked away for school and day care. The house was quiet and I cried. 

I wish that I could see our grandchildren more often. Everyday would be fine. You see, while you are in the middle of child-rearing, it's hard to enjoy the everyday ordinariness of life. Sure we celebrate and remember the big stuff, like piano recitals, baseball games, soccer, and graduations, but the everyday rituals, like hair-combing are lost in the shuffle. I wish I had not hurried through those rituals because that is now what I miss the most!

It is my hope that my children will slow down and enjoy, maybe even relish, the ordinary, everyday stuff. There will never be another time for "Peter Parker" hair or bright bows. Once it's gone the precious time is gone too. Pretty soon. like our older grand-darlings, their hair will be colored and grown-up in style. They will pick their own clothes and nothing you might suggest is the right thing. Time moves on. Teen agers make sure of that.

Today, make time for the ordinary. Relish it and remember it. All too soon the craziness of the daily rituals disappears and the house is quiet. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all so true. It hits me all the harder because my only child will be off at college next year and I'm already thinking about the things I'll miss. Of course now I'm craving more quality time with her and she (acts as if) has no use for me. If I tried to touch her hair I'm sure she'd deck me! I have two "step" grandchildren whom I adore. They are already filling the void created by my own baby being grown and soon gone. Thanks Linda...wonderful musings.
Carroll Craft