Friday, September 10, 2010

Struggles

Whoopsie doodle. We've stumbled again. Just when you think that you've wrestled with a problem and at least dealt with it internally, it comes back to bite your fanny. Sometimes, thoughts about how to solve a problem run through my head like a dog chasing a cat. There was once a time when I could mentally balance my checkbook and prepare dinner at the same time. Now, not so much, as they say.

Back then, during the two brain days, I was so focused on getting it done and keeping our collective heads above water, that the effort became almost second nature. Again, now, not so much. Today, that is the here and now, there is less to worry about, so each issue or problem seems to take on a life of its own. Funny how that works. I am not laughing.

This week has been one of those stumbling weeks. Life and living bring surprises; not all good ones. If that were not so, we'd be pushing up poppies, as my mother was fond of saying. A life without surprises is boring, however, this week I'd have welcomed boring with open arms. Boring can be comfortable.

I read something a long time ago that I've never forgotten. It was an African quote by someone I'd never heard of, but it has stayed with me. In times of trouble and struggle I call it up from the graveyard of my brain. Paraphrasing here it is; Facing God on your judgement day. God sees you as un-blemished and asks if you have no wounds. If the answer is none, he asks 'Why? Was there nothing worth fighting for?"

I plan to face God as battered and beat-up as possible.

No comments: