Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Episcopal Church Welcomes You!

I have the attention span of a gnat. Our priest gave a beautiful as well as relevant sermon today, or so they say. My mind, left to its own devices, wandered all by itself to some other place. Where? I really can't say. I only know that I felt the calm and the peacefulness from just being in church. The comfort I receive from that place is amazing! Following the sermon is not what I do well. I love the choir! I can't sing a lick, but they can and do lifting the service to heavenly levels. Bless all who make our service special as well as beautiful.

I know that I should listen and take away a lesson from the sermon, but I can't seem to focus! It is a shame that those guys spend all week working and re-working the sermon only to have someone (me) fail to pay attention. Does God care? Probably. Does God listen? Yes. How do I know this? I just do.

Sitting in the pew, knowing that all over the world others are saying the same prayers, kneeling to ask forgiveness and offering the peace is enough for me. The comfort is enough. It carries and sustains me. The sermon, if and when I can focus on it, is gravy. God's love and the serenity I find in church are the meat and potatoes. All in all it is a full plate.

Welcome to the table! Come back real soon. We'll save you a place.

No comments: