Saturday, October 30, 2010

National Nanny

Another election day is approaching. This I know. How could anyone not know this? The television is ripe with ads for candidates. So ripe that the whole thing smells like rotten fruit! The way I see it, politicians like being the ones in charge for the same reason we all like being in charge. That is; We make the rules. There's the rub.
When elected officials make the rules, they do so based on what they promised in those ads, right? Oh ye of little faith, this is not the way it works.

Instead leaders make the rules based on what they think is best for their constituents. I call this "The National Nanny Syndrome". Take tobacco for instance. No one will ever tell you that tobacco product are healthy, but did anyone ever get the chance to vote on where, when and by whom tobacco products will be consumed? NOOOOO. Just like that, poof! No smoking in rental cars, some hotels, some restaurants and some buildings. Outlaw cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products? No way that will happen! Why? Taxes, that is why. Enter "sin taxes', or the National Nanny's idea to profit from what is bad, but profitable.

Trans fat is another example. New York will eliminate trans fat from restaurants' menu items. Now, I don't know about you, but when I dine out, I expect to eat something that I probably wouldn't cook at home. Usually, that is a treat. Most times it is a fat laden goodie, dripping with butter or otherwise enhanced with trans fat or whatever makes it so yummy. I can eat fat-free cardboard at home. I suppose a restaurant owner could choose to pay a sin tax on trans fat enhanced food. Bingo! More $$$ for the Nannies!

What happened to, "by the people for the people". Do representatives look around the chambers and say, "What people?" We the people, that's who! What's next? I have no idea, but this I do know; Nothing should be taken for granted. Hide the children, small animals and butter!


No comments: